Page 5 FAYETTEVILLE (ARK.) DEMOCRAT Tuesday, July 3, 1928 =============================================================================================
Lent to the Arkansas History Commission by Miss Bessie Cantrell
Prints of the "Arkansas Traveler," though frequently sought in the art shops, are not to be had. The owner of the original painting refuses to permit a copy of it to be made. The painting, representing humorous incidents concerning an Arkansas Traveler (Col. Faulkner) to the home of a squatter in this mountain section and the story that goes with it, have made Arkansas both famous and infamous but Arkansans are at least awaking to the fact that "squatter" lore is valuable literary and artistic lore and have set a fabulous price on the original painting. The picture above has been retouched and the position of the horse and of the woman in the doorway is slightly different from the original grouping. The cut above was published first in the Centennial edition of the Arkansas Gazette and appears here courtesy of that publication.
THIS COLLEGE GAVE FIRST DEGREES IN ARKANSAS
The story of the Arkansas College from material compiled with painstaking care by Rev. N. M. Ragland, will be reprinted in full in the Democrat of July 5, courtesy of the "Front Rank," Christian Church publication, St. Louis. Mr. Ragland is chief speaker at Thursday's unveiling of this historic site.
|Fayetteville Incorporated in 1836
Fayetteville's incorporation, under her present name, was approved according to a copy of the act in possession of Former Postmaster Hugh Reagan-November 3, 1836. The act is signed by John Wilson, speaker of the House, and Sam C. Roane, president of the Senate, also by J. S. Conway, a member of one of Arkansas' earliest distinguished families.
Boundaries were: Section No. 16 in Township Number 16, north, range Number 30 west, in the County of Washington. And all white male inhabitants 21 and over were made "a body politic and corporate by the alderman and town council of Fayetteville." One alderman and five members of the town council were specified as governing body, to be elected the first Monday in each year. Citizens were made exempt from working roads but were required to work on the streets.
Rebecca Washington, wife of General Washington brother's son and great-grandmother of Miss Sue Walker, Vol Walker, Wythe Walker and David Walker, moved to Fayetteville in 1836.
|Piano of 1830 Lent to
The French piano maker who back about 1830 sawed out the wood for a little baby grand upright piano of rosewood did not know that he was building an instrument not for the parlours of madame in France, but for those of a general of the barbarian democracy of the West.
Nor did he know that after the great civil conflict that tore apart this nation in 1861-1865 this general was to carry this same rosewood piano with him to a pioneer state called Arkansas, where transportation development demanded that the last part of the journey be made by team over the shaggy backs of the Ozarks.
And least of all did he suspect that nearly 100 years later this piano, now the property of Mrs. Lena Sharp at a town called Fayetteville, would be on display in the historical museum for the same town's celebration of its hundredth birthday.
The piano was brought here in 1878 by General D. H. Hill, when he came here from North Carolina to assume the chair
|of the president of the University of Arkansas, then
called Arkansas Industrial University. In 1882 A. B. Lewis, father of
Mrs. Sharp, purchased the instrument, along with other household
An account book dated 1860 which belonged to Mr. Lewis, also will be on display at the museum, as will another account book from Cane Hill and dated 1832. This was given to Mr. Lewis, on of the city's early merchants, and now is owned by Mrs. Sharp.
Eight government grants, dated 1835 and 1836 for 700 acres of land and signed by President James Buchanan, will be on display. These are made to Nelson Hewitt, grandfather of Mrs. Sharp, and are for a tract of land near the present site of Johnson.
A group of early iron work, a pair of forger's tongs, a broad-axe, an iron tiptkin, and a pair of crane hooks, brought here from Virginia by Mrs. Sharp's mother, Mrs. Joseph Lewis, are to be furnished the museum by Mrs. Sharp.
|There follows a list of additional things
to be lent to the museum by Mrs. Sharp.
A camphor bottle which belonged to her mother, Rebecca Hewitt, and given her by her mother, Mrs. Nelson Hewitt, about 75 years ago by Mrs. Clint Hill, Governor Yell's daughter-in-law.
A sliver butter knife brought from Tennessee, from 75 to 100 years old.
A daguerreotype of A. B. Lewis in Confederate uniform.
A daguerreotype of Sidney Battle, the roommate of A. B. Lewis when both were in Arkansas College. Sidney Battle was brother of Judge Battle of the Arkansas supreme bench.
A case of Confederate money which belonged to Nelson Hewitt.
A picture of the Hawthorne school at Farmington taken in 1842. This school is among the oldest of the county.
Two fruit bowls, one 73 and one 58 years old.
A basket, the property of Mrs. Sharpe's grandmother Hewitt, which is 65 years old.
Page 5 Articles continued Page 6
Return to Fayetteville (ARK.) Democrat
Fayetteville Arkansas (Washington County)
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Newspapers
Return to Greene County, Arkansas Index Page© 2010 PR Massey