John H. Breathwait
John H. Breathwait is a worthy representative of the energetic business men of Cleveland County, Ark., and on September 27, 1858, was born on the farm where he now resides, being a son of Richard and Mary (Havorn) Breathwait, natives of County Antrim, Ireland.
They were married in their native land but, in 1848 the father came to the United States on a prospecting tour, and after traveling over the most of the Southern States he returned to the " Emerald Isle," but in 1852 brought his family to the United States, and after a residence of nearly one year in Alabama, they came to Arkansas and settled in Bradley County, (now Cleveland County), where they have since made their home.
The father was born September 19, 1819, and his wife March 4, 1828, their marriage taking place September 27, 1852, and their union has resulted in the birth of the following children: Ada (wife of S. B. Gibson, a farmer and stockman of Cleveland County, Ark.), Rebecca (wife of J. H. Williams, a farmer of Jefferson County, Ark.), John H., Alexander H. (a farmer of the county), Ellen and Mary (who are living with their parents). Two children are deceased, and both bore the name of William and died when young.
John H. Breathwait attended the district schools near his home and also the State University at Fayetteville during 1873-7-1, after which he turned his attention to farming, and has continued this occupation successfully up to the present time. He opened a mercantile establishment in 1884 on his farm, and has an excellent stock of goods which he manages in connection with his farm. He owns some 2,000 acres of land of which 600 are under cultivation and he is considered the most extensive planter in the county.
He is a Democrat and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They were married on December 18, 1889, she being a Miss Cora E. Niven, a daughter of John Niven, of Cleveland, County.
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas
Published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co.; Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis