"is a resident of Bethesda Spring, Polk County, Ark., but was born in Cherokee County, Ga., April 7, 1836, being a son of William W. and Hannah (DOVER) GREEN, the former born in North Carolina, being a great grandson of Gen. Green of Revolutionary fame, and the latter in South Carolina, their marriage taking place in Georgia, from which State they moved to Texas in 1867, locating in Comanche County. Here they resided until 1869, when they came to Polk County, Ark., Mr. Green devoting his attention to tilling the soil. Both became members of the Primitive Baptist Church in early life, Mr. Green being ordained a minister in early life, and preached the gospel until his death in November, 1887, at the age of seventy-four years. He was instrumental in bringing many souls to the feet of Christ, and in the affairs of every day life he was also successful. In his political views he was a Democrat. His widow, who survives him, is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. He has thirteen children living, of whom the subject of this sketch is the second. He spent his school days in Murray County, Ga., but at the age of eighteen left his home in that State and went to Western Texas, of which region he was one of the pioneer settlers. He was in Comanche Co. during the entire trouble with that tribe of Indians and took part in a number of fierce battles with the Comanches. He lost several valuable horses by thieving Indians, also numerous cattle, as he was engaged in the stock business there from 1855 to 1868. He was the first judge of Comanche County, and was also captain of a company of rangers which was organized by the State for the protection of the settlers against the depredations of the Indians. In July, 1862, he joined Col. Gurley's Thirtieth Texas Cavalry, became lieutenant of Company G, and was in the service a short time before the close of the war, his operations being confined to the west side of the Mississippi River, being at the mouth of the Rio Grande River, in the Indian Territory and Arkansas, taking part in the battles of Camden, Poison Springs and others. In 1868 he came to Polk County, Ark., and located on Mountain Fork in what is now Cove Township, where he has a considerable portion of his 180 acre farm under cultivation. He makes a specialty of raising stock, especially cattle, and is noted for being a thrifty agriculturist. In 1888 he was elected to represent this county in the lower house of the State Legislature, and was on several important committees, among which may be mentioned mining, manufacturing and retrenchments. He introduced bills taxing incomes for school purposes, and may with truth be said to have made a wide-awake, intelligent and incorruptible legislator. He was married in 1852 to Miss Cynthia DEAN, but she lived only a short time. While in Texas he was married to Miss Frances ISHAM, who died in this county in 1878, leaving eight children - five sons and three daughters. In 1880 Sallie R. WARD became his wife, and by her he has four sons. He has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since 1864, and in 1872 was ordained a minister of that denomination, and has since had charge of Two Mile Church with the exception of one year, when he traveled as a missionary in Scott, Montgomery, Logan and Sevier Counties, and the Indian Territory, organizing churches. He is a member, and has been master of Mountain Meadow Lodge No. 218, of the A.F.&A.M., and has always been a stanch Democrat."
Return to Polk Co Home Page