NEWSPAPERS OF NEWTON COUNTY
| Down through the years there has always been someone with newspaper ability
living in the county who was willing to bet his time and money that he could
edit a county newspaper that would meet the need and desire of the people,
and at the same time produce enough income to pay for his efforts.
Very few records have been kept of our first newspapers to be published in the county. The writer has a few copies of the first editions.
The following is a list of some of the newspapers that have been published in Newton County. The Jasper American was started at Jasper by Sam W. Davis, February 4, 1884. It was suspended for a while in 1885, to be revived later, but it finally died in 1900. The publication of the Newton Herald, at Jasper, was commenced in 1891. It's first editors were J. W. Casteel and Hosa Miles.The Herald was strictly a Republican newspaper. It carried a motto thus: "In God and the Republican Party We Trust, Everybody Else Cash." The Herald was later consolidated with another newspaper. E. E. Amons was the editor in 1908. The Echo, at Jasper, was being published in 1889-90 by B. F. King. The Jasper Sentinel was also started in 1891, and J. C. Murphy was one of its publishers. The Newton County Blade was established at Jasper in 1897 by S. R. Reese. The Blade and the Herald were consolidated in 1898. The Leader began to lead in 1903, with T. J. Berry as publisher. The Park Nugget was started at Deer in 1909 by C. A. Monroe Meadows. The Newton Gleaner was being published at Parthenon by J. S. Atchley in 1904. The Newton County Times, at Mt. Judea, was started in 1908 by Talmage Greenhaw. It was soon moved to Jasper, the county seat. This newspaper was awarded the publication of the Constitutional Amendments in 1912, and was recognized as a leading Democrat newspaper of that section. Hudson and Pruitt became its publishers, and were succeeded by Walter P. Murray, and Young. The Newton County Times continued to be edited for a number of years, changing publishers many times. In 1948 it was consolidated with the Informer, published by Jay Milam. The Informer, the only newspaper published in the county at this time, seems to meet the needs of the people. As it is the only paper, as far as I know, that still has the $1.00 per year subscription rate.
The Informer was first established in 1926 at Salem, Fulton County, Arkansas. It was moved to Jasper in 1931, absorbed the Newton County Times in 1948. Editor Jay Milam is 62 years of age, and has been engaged in the printing business since 1902. He is the father of four boys and two girls. He and his wife and baby son live at their country home, five miles north of Jasper on Highway No. 7. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for more than 40 years. He was born in Merriwether County, Georgia, near Warm Springs, and became a resident of Arkansas when his father moved to Black Springs, Montgomery County, some 40 miles west of Hot Springs. He grew up at Black Springs and learned the trade there.
from History of Newton County Arkansas by Walter J. Lackey, published in 1950